Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownThe Monk and Bishop Antonio de San Miguel ordered the construction of this Aqueduct in 1785. It provided potable water into the city and job for indigenous laborers. It has 253 arches and baroque style.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownA narrow alley with houses from the Viceroyal times. There are some inscriptions along the alley that are part of a Romance written by Lucas Ortiz
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownBishop Juan José Escalona y Calatayud built this pedestrian street and it was later restored by the monk Antonio de San Miguel. Lovely 18th and 19th century summer mansions stand at each side of the Calzada.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownFrom 1974 and 1979 the old Convent was restored and prepared to be used as the Culture House of Morelia; It also houses the office of the Michoacan Culture Institute.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownConstruction began on this massive edifice in 1660 and was finally complete in 1744. The Cathedral was built with rose-colored quarry stone and baroque paneling with a Doric-style interior. The altarpieces inside are neoclassical in style. Among the many treasures inside the Cathedral are a silver baroque showcase and a silver neoclassical baptismal font, both from the 18th century. The monumental organ with its 4,600 pipes is a recent addition from early in the 20th century. The 16th century Lord of the Sacristy is made from dried maize paste.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownOriginally the headquarters of the Jesuit School of San Francisco Javier, which functioned until 1767, this building is a majestic example of mid – 17th century baroque architecture. Later it served as a correctional facility for priests. In 1824 it became the home of the Congress of Michoacán. It is one of the most important architectural monuments in the city.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownThe baroque temple and adjoining building date from the 18th century. The Conservatory building originally housed the School of Santa María from 1738 until the 19th century. The building became a conservatory of music in the late 1940s and today it houses the internationally renowned Coro de los Niños cantores de Morelia (Boys’ Choir) in addition to the Music School.
Direccion/Address:Santiago Tapia s/n Col. Centro
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownThis 19th century building of French influence stands two stories and is surrounded by gardens. Located in the Cuauhtémoc Woods Park along the Acueducto Avenue, it houses the collection of the Contemporary Art Museum.
Direccion/Address:Av. Acueducto No. 18, Bosque Cuauhtémoc, Centro Histórico.
Zona/Zone: Centro/DowntownThe Franciscans began construction on this Plateresque-style complex in 1531. This was the first convent established in Valladolid. Today the Crafts Center of Michoacán is located here, and all the different styles of crafts produced in Michoacán are on exhibit and for sale. It opens from Monday to Sunday from 9am to 3pm and from 5:30pm to 8pm.
Direccion/Address:Fray Juan de San Miguel No. 129